By Kathryn Bechen
Cozy comfy chairs, collected wooden chairs…whatever your taste, interesting chairs can give your cottage a personally charming and eclectic flair.
Here are 10 secrets to “chair charm” for your home:
1. French Flair. Upholstered chairs with French curved legs and backs create a sophisticated cottage look. They don’t have to be expensive—search flea markets and consignment shops and reupholster.
2. Ladderback Love. Rush seat ladder-back chairs add architectural interest. Paint each rung of the ladder-back a different color for interest.
3. Quite a Pair. Pair two classic rolled-arm upholstered chairs next to each other with a small table in between to encourage reading and conversation.
4. Quirky Consignment. Scour consignment stores for sturdy and interesting looking wooden chairs of different but complementary styles and size. Paint each one a different but complementary color and use around your dining table.
5. Unique Upholstery. Purchase several upholstered chairs in interesting but different styles and unify them by reupholstering all in the same upholstery fabric. Choose pieces with interesting wood trim and legs for an eclectic look.
6. Wicker Wonder. Collect different styles of wicker chairs and chaises and paint them all the same color for a unified look. Add floral seat cushions in one style upholstery fabric to tie them together.
7. Slipcover Splendor. Soft comfy slipcovers say “instant cottage.” Try white canvas or a faded floral print.
8. Quintessential Quilts. If your favorite upholstered chair needs recovering but you don’t have the funds, drape your favorite quilt over it. Or, consider using a favorite quilt as the actual upholstery fabric for a unique and charming look.
9. Fabric Finesse. Search upholstery fabric outlets for the best quality of upholstery fabric you can find. If you’ve saved money on the cost of the chair, you can splurge on the fabric!
10. White Wonder. Paint all your chairs’ woodwork white and upholster with colorful floral fabric for a fresh and airy look.
By creating some “chair charm” in your cottage, you’ll be happy to linger and enjoy your home and your guests will feel welcomed and comfortable too.
c2006 Kathryn Bechen. All rights reserved worldwide.
Visit http://www.kathrynbechendesigns.com for more free ideas and tips for decorating your cottage style home on a dollarwise budget and to sign up for Kathryn's free e-newsletter of decorating tips and resources. Kathryn is an interior decorating consultant and author who specializes in Cottage Style, Non-Toxic, and Dollarwise decorating.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Kathryn_Bechen